Helix is part science museum, part retail space, and part community center located at 316 State Street in downtown Los Altos. A collaboration with San Francisco's world-renowned Exploratorium, Helix offers hands-on exhibits, programs, and events for all ages. On the ground floor, the Exploratorium's retail shop has a delightful selection of engaging do-it-yourself project kits that explore scientific phenomena; the second floor features exhibits that stretch your understanding of the natural world, as well as a classroom space that will offer classes and workshops in 2014.
Helix "soft-opened" for business in November, with a very successful official grand opening the weekend of December 13-15th. The exhibits and programming are changing continually, so be sure to check out Helix's Upcoming Programs page for updates.
For more information, check out the following news articles:
- San Jose Mercury News, 1/20/14 - Helix-A Mini Exploratorium for the South Bay
- San Jose Mercury News, 12/15/13 - Mini-Exploratorium Opens in Los Altos
- Los Altos Town Crier, 12/4/13 - Helix: ultimate science experiment arrives in downtown Los Altos
- Los Altos Town Crier opening weekend photo album - Helix Opens in Los Altos
- Official Helix press release by the Exploratorium, 11/5/13 - Exploratorium to Open Helix Community Science Center in Downtown Los Altos